background

May 5, 2012

Something Blue



Recently, I was asked to make a hydrangea wreath for a bridal shower.  It turned out pretty cute, and I thought some of y'all might be interested in dressing up your front doors for the summertime, too.  It's super easy - won't even take 20 minutes! 

What you'll need:

1 grapevine wreath (18-24 inches)
5 large sinlge hydrangea stems
2 small hydrangea "bushes" (basically a bunch of hydrangea all wired together like a little bouquet)
hot glue gun
2 yards of ribbon

1 First, tie your bow (I used an 8-inch wide strip of burlap) onto the wreath - I like mine on the side, but you can put yours wherever you'd like.


2 Then, pull the 5 large hydrangea off of their stems and space them evenly around the wreath.  Once you have them placed, glue them in.


3 Then pull all of the little blossoms off of the bushes and fill in the spaces.  I recommend placing them all again, then gluing, so you can be sure you'll have enough blossoms.  By the way, the reason I did it this way was to save money.  I was ably to buy a bush for the same amount of money as a single large stem.  You could do the wreath entirely of the smaller bush hydrangea to save even more money if you feel so inclined.  You will lose a little bit in texture and depth of color, but you'd generally get the same look for less.





4 Last, I added some of the leaves back in, just for a little bit of texture, but you can leave yours with just the flowers if you'd rather. 


I also had a letter to add for the bride's new monogram, and personalizing is always a nice touch, especially for a front door, don't ya think??   She painted her "H" silver, to use at her wedding.  I  think chocolate brown would be cute, or polka-dots, or moss-covered, or button-covered, or twine-wrapped....just thinkin out loud over here.....  :o)  Let me know how yours turns out!




No comments: