background

May 13, 2012

Something New

Because this crazy house is still a total train wreck, I am vainly attempting to decorate it in an effort to maintain sanity.  I have spent the last week seeking fabric for curtains, pillows, bed-skirts, table skirts, shower curtains, etc, etc, etc. All that I currently have to show for it is this lovely little before-and-after of a slip-covered couch.  And while this post may not stand very well on its own, I am in the process of decorating this house in light variations of grey (green-grey, blue-grey, taupe), where my last house was more variations of gold (gold, green, chocolate brown), so this is just one step in helping my existing furniture to fit into my new color-scheme.  The pillows and curtains are really going to make a WORLD of difference, and I can't wait to show you the before-and-after of that!

In the mean time, back to the couch. This couch is a two-time hand-me-down from my in-laws, given to my husband when he was a teenager, and he brought with him to our first apartment.  And while, alas, the lovely fabric has fallen out of fashion, the couch itself is actually in fantastic condition.  Because it has held up so well, re-upholstering it would have been great, but let's be honest, I only sew in straight lines, and paying someone else would cost as much as buyin a new couch (which I would LOVE, but I have about a two-hundred and fifty-three other place to spend that money right now).  Thus, I went for the only option I had, a slip-cover.  So naturally I checked out the Target Simply Shabby Chic collection, and found a lovely little ruffled number (and as you will see in the coming weeks, thanks to Pinterest I'm havin a bit of a love affair with ruffles). 



I wanted the new cover to fit a little more snuggly that most slip covers, so I washed it in hot water, dried it, and invested in a box of T-pins and nail heads (both of which you can find in the upholstery section at JoAnns).  I used the t-pins under the arms, under the cushions, and under the ruffle.  Then I used the nail heads on the arms to give it a more personalized, more finished, less slip-covered look.


(yes, I know, no trim on the windows, much less curtains, is really distracting from the "finished" look.....I don't know why I thought a covered couch would make me feel better, but there it is!)


As you can see, I still need to steam some of the wrinkles out, but I think it is an improvement over all.  I'm also gonna go ahead and pass along to those of you are feeling particularly ambitious, an excellent idea I got at one of the fabric shops - drop cloth as upholstry fabric.  EXCELLENT!  It's thick, durable, neutral color, and super affordable - about $30 for a 12x14 sheet.  In fact, our drop cloth, while thicker, is about the same color as this slip cover and I have given serious thought to recovering each cushion with it.  Then I might put more nail heads along the top of the couch, as well.  You have to admit - those nail heads are a nice touch!

Hang in there with me guys!  We'll pick up the pace again soon (I'm gonna lose my mind if we don't)!


No comments: